Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Balance


The other day I posted the video of a trailer about a film on poverty in Kenya called, This Is My Normal.  And like many of you, I have watched dozen of similar videos, seen pictures or read articles that make us aware of the horrific conditions around the world.  And again like you, they break my heart, move me to prayer and cause me to probe my checkbook ledger to see where my funds are really going.

Then I move onto other things.  You know, life stuff....kids, work, school, problems...life.  And within a few hours those pictures of the slums of Kenya, or the drug addicts and prostitutes in my own backyard escape my memory, at least until the next video comes across my laptop.

So here is my question:  How do we balance these two? Is there a healthy balance between these two dichotomies? What can I do as an affluent American (well, down right rich American when you realize what the rest of the world lives on daily) to live the life that I have been given here in America but yet still be involved in the plight of the poor, downcast and hurting?  What is that balance? Seriously, what it is?  I'm asking you cause I'm not sure.  For example, I was kid free for part of this weekend (which is a rare thing since I'm a full-time single dad with 3 kids ages 7-14), so I took my MacBook, my Bible (one of 13 different translations I have on my shelf), my smart phone, a notepad, a pen and worked on a sermon while listening to one of 600+ bands I have on my MP3 player, while at Waffle House eating a breakfast big enough to feed a village in Africa.  Yet, 20,000 children will die tonight because they don't have drinkable water.  Wow!

So, should I feel guilty?  Should I do nothing?  Should I fast from breakfast and send that money to a country who needs it?  The answer may be yes to all of those. Or, is there a balance?  Because I don't now how to not live my life here in Mississippi.  Don't get me wrong, I believe in sacrifice.  Jesus said take up your cross and follow me.  Really? Do we read that part of our Bible?  Would we do anything for Jesus?  Give up family, friends, Starbucks, computers, blogs, music, house, cars for Jesus?  I want to believe that I would.  I do know Jesus has called me to plant a church in Jackson, MS.  And you know what? I don't really want to.  I would rather live anywhere but Jackson, MS (well until I see videos of Nairobi, Kenya).  No one wants to commit to a church plant, its hard work, very discouraging at times and it doesn't pay much.  Then I am reminded of what I have.  Not just the monetary stuff, but the love of Jesus.  Salvation.  A gift.  So, then its all worth it.  Actually, its really not a sacrifice at all when you consider what He has sacrificed for me!

Okay....I digress.  Back to balance.  So, now what? Can I balance both?  It seems so overwhelming.  But it's possible.  Start small.  Here are a few things my kids and I have done or are doing: As a family adopt a child from a third world country through WorldVision or Compassion International.  Quit buying $4 coffees and put that money away for a whole year then give it to someone in need.  Volunteer at a local shelter.  Take a trip to a developing county instead of going on an expensive family vacation one year (no, you don't have to give up all family vacations.....balance, remember).  These are just some things, and they don't guarantee to eliminate all guilt, but it's a start.  But most importantly, pray and be open to God.  I mean really pray and really listen to him.  If he calls you to do something big or small then be obedient.  To me that's the key to balance: obedience.  Simply be obedient to what God wants you to do.  When you do that then maybe you can have a greasy $8 breakfast with all of your electronics in hand - Guilt Free!

Let me know your thoughts on balance.  What do you do for a healthy balance?  I need help!

Thanks.....Simple Pastor Tim

5 comments:

Jesseknowseverything said...

I have no idea what you do for balance. Still trying to figure that one out myself. Let me know when you get that all worked out so I can finally know!

Elijah Friedeman said...

Pastor Tim, I've been asking myself the same question these past couple months. Just how far should I go to help people in need. Is Jesus calling me to give up my house? Food? A car? Ipod? Laptop? How much do I need to give up. And is it good to force myself into a form of destitution...I really don't know the answer.

sweetbugmom said...

As a single parent I understand how tough it is trying to balance and to be everything that you need to be...growing your kids up to be awesome Christian people, providing for them, being who you need to be to family and friends, finding time for yourself, serving and loving others, etc. You have it figured out better than anyone that I know. Your an incredible man! I so admire you for that!

One Righteous Babe said...

Tim, this post rocked. As it is 3 mins to 1AM I will get back to you on what I think about balance and what not... ha

joeshealthstory said...

Tim,
I found this in a review of David Platt's book Radical. The review is by Kevin DeYoung. I think it sheds a bit of life on how much we are actually able to do as far as world poverty goes.

Here is the article:

Second, we need a better understanding of poverty and wealth in the world. The Christian needs to be generous, but generous charity is not the answer to the world’s most pressing problems of hunger, inadequate medical care, and grinding poverty. Wealth is created in places where the rule of law is upheld, property rights are secured, people are free to be entrepreneurs, and there is sufficient social capital to encourage risk-taking. We can and should do good with our giving. But we must not lead people to believe that most of human suffering would be alleviated if we simply gave more.